Home » The CIA Torture Report’s Purpose was to Take Focus Off Gruber and Obamacare
Tuesday was a political “high point,” –or “low point,” if you prefer. Quite by design, at 11:00 AM Eastern Time, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, encouraged by the Democrat-controlled Senate and the Obama Administration, released a 528 Executive Summary of its $40 million, 6,000 page “Study of the Central Intelligence Agency’s Detention and Interrogation Program,” uncovering the impropriety of methods used by the CIA to obtain information from high-ranking Al-Qaida and other terrorist groups responsible for the Trade Center bombing, among other things. The report is critical of the “enhanced interrogation” technique known as “waterboarding,” plus other “tortures,” such as playing loud music and sleep deprivation. Former senator Bob Kerrey (D-NE) writing in USA Today said, “I do not need to read the report to know that the Democrat staff alone wrote it. The Republicans checked out early when they determined that their counterparts started out with the premise that the CIA was guilty and then worked to prove it.” They interviewed no CIA participants; issued no indictments or recommendations. The report will certainly be used to feed enemy terrorist propaganda.
Former Obama Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, former Obama CIA Chief Michael Hayden, and current Obama CIA Chief John Brennan, all stated that the release of such previously confidential information will expose the identity of many CIA covert operatives, and violate the confidences of our allies. Even Secretary of State John Kerry has requested that it not be released, and in anticipation, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel has sent a danger alert to our foreign embassies. But Senator Feinstein did it anyway.
The report was actually approved on December 13, 2012 and updated for release on April 3, 2014. It could have been released any time, so why now when there is major unrest both at home and abroad? More on that later, but for right now, here are a few things for you to keep in mind:
1. The technique of “waterboarding” was/is routinely experienced by CIA operatives as a part of their training. None have drowned.
2. This “enhanced interrogation” was nothing compared to the heinous torture inflicted by the Japanese against American soldiers in WWII, such as driving bamboo spears under their fingernails, crushing their genitals while still attached, etc., etc. And I am sure you have heard of the Bataan Death March in which thousands American and Philippino soldiers died of starvation and deprivation while being marched the sixty miles from the battlefield at Mariveles, Bataan, to the Japanese prison camp at San Fernando, Pampanga.
3. It was nothing compared to Vietnamese prison guards pulling Senator John McCain’s arms out of their sockets, leaving him permanently unable to raise them above the horizontal.
4. It hardly ranks with the incivility of the beheadings currently being practiced by our Islamic enemies.
In spite of all the publicity, waterboarding was only attempted on THREE terrorist prisoners:
a. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, confessed
b. Abu Zubaydah, al-Qaeda’s “travel agent,” whose information eventually lead to Osama Bin Laden’s demise.
c. Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, alleged mastermind of 2000 attack on the USS Cole.
And, of course, they all survived quite nicely, thank you, spilled their guts, and CIA officials say they obtained vital information that is still being used for our nation’s security.
So why is this report being released now? Simple.
1. It infers, and the mainstream media confirms, that it is a terrible indictment of the inhumanity of former President George W. Bush, VP Cheney, and Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld. So the Demos must do it now before the Republicans gain control of the Senate, and thus, the chairmanship of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
2. Its release was timed to coincide with, and divert attention from, the testimony of MIT Professor Jonathan Gruber before the House Oversight Committee on his roll in the misrepresentations of Obamacare, and his reference to the need for “stupid” voters.
I tried to watch Professor Gruber’s testimony on C-Span, CNN, or somewhere. All the mainstream media, including C-Span, were showing identical presentations of Senator Feinstein’s reading of a portion of the Committee report, but none showed the Gruber hearing. Not even C-Span! Eventually I did find it live on YouTube, of all places. If you missed Professor Gruber’s grilling, you missed a real treat. Usually, the hearings before Darrell Issa’s House Oversight Committee are totally predictable, and totally worthless. A Republican Committee member will spend the allotted 5 minutes attacking the person called to testify, and then a Democrat member will spend another 5 minutes defending him/her. (Does the name Lois Lerner come to mind?) But not so this time!
Both Democrat and Republican members joined together in picking Professor Gruber’s bones—but for different reasons. The Republican members were after him because he was the “architect” of the purposefully misleading (and possibly illegal) mandates in Obamacare, and the Democrats because he admitted it! The entire hearing lasted just over four hours. But Congressman Trey Gowdy (R-SC) summed it all up in only six minutes. You can find it here. Congressman Gowdy didn’t just throw Professor Gruber under the bus, he sent the good doctor scurrying to crawl under it!
Of course, it’s all political. But at what cost, and at what damage to our national security—today, and in the days to come? We shall see.
Don’t forget to Like Freedom Outpost on Facebook, Google Plus, & Twitter. You can also get Freedom Outpost delivered to your Amazon Kindle device here.